Sunday, March 15, 2009

Skick Skiing and Super Sweet Single Speeds

After a rather boring day Monday at work, it did not take much convincing by Abdul to get me on board with his midweek Homewood special trip that evening. By 7:00 pm we were saddled up in the Speed 3 heading east to South Lake to stay at Emile's place that evening. We clownged around Monday night at the lakeside cabin with Emile, Justin and Toad, all involved in the skate company Blood Wizard. skiing

Toad and Emile about to settle a fight.


Checking our ski conditions.

We arrived to Homewood around 9:30 and hopped on the first lift. This is the view looking back off the lift.

The Midweek Homewood Special Gang (LR: Toad, Dave, Emile, Abdul, Justin).

Looking back at the Lake on our last ride up.

After the great ski day I was satisfied with my snow desire for the week so I switch focus to bike. My attempt to make a few improvements to the Rig yielded a garage strewn with bike components and a frame with a seat post and rear break...oops. I guess the miles of riding with little bike maintenance in between rides had really taken it's toll. I spent all week applying attention to various issues until finally, friday night, I had a fully functioning Rig ready to cruse down to the bar.

The Rig, better than new, with a new Chris King headset, trued wheels, and back in Sing Speed Form.

Saturday I hit up the Missouri Bar Loop. This was the very first ride I did in Grass Valley when I moved here. I did it on a barley functioning Rig with no front brake and 9 speeds. Rocco kicked my ass all over the trail, all day long, literally, all day long. I was pleased to return to the loop with a single speed 6 months later and destroy it with my best time yet. I guess something can be said about cross training with tele's.

The winter moisture had the trail looking like a painting with popping greens and browns.

Classic Missouri Bar Loop self-portrait from my favorite resting spot.

The river below.

I do not know if we will be getting any more big snow dumps this ski season, but either way I'm perfectly content now that I have a fully functioning bike. Cheers!

No comments: