Sunday, April 27, 2008

Spring Break 2008

This is a delayed post on my 2008 Spring Break/Vector Interview Trip. I had two objectives for my spring break, 1 - to spend some time on the snow, and 2 - do some interviewing with possible employers. Vector Engineering, a midsized International geotechnical engineering firm catering to large mining companies, have their world headquarters located in Grass Valley, CA. Grass Valley, from what I had read, seemed like a nice little small town in northern California not far from Lake Tahoe, where I heard the skiing was top notch. So I get an interview with Vector Engineering to get free transportation and lodging. Vector has me make the arrangements then submit receipts and they'll reimburse. So, I book a flight from STL to SAC a on Thursday (interview is on a Friday), plan a 3 day ski tour of the Tahoe Area, then book a flight from SAC to BRL(Burlington, VT) on the following Tuesday to visit the Sevi's who are now stationed in North Field, VT. I plan a few days stay with the Sevi's then hop a flight from BRL back to STL (self-funded) the following Saturday. Following, are a few pics of the trip.


After the Vector interview and a LOT of 'funded' partying Friday night, this was the scene 8:00 a.m. on my drive the the ski slope (just 30 minutes away)


The first day of CA skiing was spent at Sugar Bowl, a great little steep mountain with lots of variety. This is a picture of some pretty radical shoots open to skiing. I was fortunate to run into some friendly tele-skiers that showed me around the mountain, they also happened to be geotech engineers from a different firm in the area, crazy.


The first night on the road (3rd night of trip) I stayed at a state park just out side of Tahoma, CA, a small town on the west shore of Lake Tahoe. This was my first attempt at snow camping. I used some SMC Sno-Stakes from REI which worked very well. The night was great low around 20.


Easter Sunday I skied Alpine Meadows, another ski area 45 minutes or less from Grass Valley. The Easter bunny was helping park traffic that day, I got a picture. Easter Sunday Mass was a non-denominational service atop the mountain with skis on (it was the best I could do).


Alpine Meadows sets just of the west shore of Lake Tahoe (background). The temp got to around 50 that day, I skied in a hoody w/out gloves most of the time.


The second night on the road I made camp off a trail somewhere in the El Dorado National Forest near Grover Hot Springs (which were not too impressive). This was great camping with the low in the low 30s that night.


The third day skiing was at Kirkwood, a ski resort established on the highest pass of the western immigration trial. Skiing here was steep and fast with plenty of hiking options for endless numbers unique runs.


My final night spent in California was at Folsom Lake across from the famed Folsom Prison. This was the best night camping temperature wise, the low was around 55 that night. Three nights camping, three different seasons.


After some troubles with the flight from D.C. to Burlington (shitter was full), I finally made it to the Sevi's in North Field, VT. I was greeted by Monster (Sophia) who immediately started double fisting in celebration of my arrival.


Wednesday, after a day of skiing around the house, including some runs with Sophia, I headed into North Field to the old Norwich University ski hill, which has been closed for some time but the locals have kept a few runs trimmed back to create some quick backcountry runs. I met Sevski, who had just put in a day of professoring, for a couple quick runs before sunset.



The this is the end lift line face. Sevskis rolling tape.



The next day we had great ski conditions, it had snowed for most of the day, leaving behind 2-4 inches of fresh powder. Sevski and I hit up Norwich again, this time rooting out all the backwoods runs.



Little Shoot.


Typical 'run' in Norwich ski area/Vermont in general. You learn how to turn 'em quick.


One of the days in VT was spent skiing Mad River Glen, one of the few co-op skiier owned mountains in the country and home the the only single chair lift in the country. Props to Brendon for getting me a free pass.

Typical Run at Mad River that day, steep, narrow, icy and bumped out. My legs never hurt so bad after a day of skiing.


Marcy, Brendon and Kate on the hike up Mt Scrab (classic VT. backcountry) on my final day of skiing.


I barreled down Scrab in what some would call out-of-control fashion (ask Marcy) having the time of my life on the fresh, powder topped crust. I did accidental ski off this 'cliff', lucky I came out unscathed.


Scrab from a distance (Brandon's house).


Spring Break 2008 was my last spring break, but most likely the best. I had a blast skiing both sides of the country and really enjoyed the company I shared. I have accepted the job with Vector and will be moving out to Grass Valley in August. Dave Weidinger, EIT, Staff Geotech Engineer starts Aug 18th.

As always, more pics and videos are available here.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Great post Diz! I got a tear in my eye when you mentioned this being your LAST spring break. It really is sad. Glad you made the most of it though, and I hope Grass Valley and Tahoe treat you well! Keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks